Monday, December 04, 2017

Aunt Merch.

 
 
In the picture above is my mom on the left and my aunt Mary. In my whole life I never called her Mary. She was aunt "Merch". How that name came about I never knew. Growing up we always lived within walking distance of each other. Of the three aunts she was the most "sage" like. I always liked talking with her or taking advice as I got older. Many Wigilia's were spent in her small flat, filled with more family than could fit. Later in years, when I had "grown up" and would visit my mom, I always took time to see aunt Merch. It was easy because she lived right across from my mother's. She was also a poet of sorts. Every Christmas she would write an invitation, in a poem form, inviting family for Wigilia. Like many things, I should have kept them all. Here is one of them.....................

I climbed the peak to the top of the hill
Then all of a sudden, my heart stood still
Up above my head, the moon shed its glow
over millions of diamonds in the drifting snow.

I did not know that on this hill
There was such beauty, chaste and still.
With mirrored ice on a frozen stream,
It caught and held a childhood's dream.


The shepherds star shown big and bright
It cast its magic this Christmas night.
All over the valley and o.er the hills
Angels were singing and the world stood still.

Christmas tree lights flicker
And candles glow,
While church bells chime so
soft and low.

The time has come again, my friends
That special time of year--
When the Christ child was born
So far away from here.

But, nay, nay children, do not fear--
I ask you all to gather
Both far and near
For a cup of Christmas Cheer.

Na powyższym zdjęciu jest moja mama po lewej i moja ciocia Mary. Przez całe moje życie nigdy nie nazwałem jej Maty. Była ciotką "Merch". Jak powstało to imię, którego nigdy nie znałem. Dorastając, zawsze żyliśmy w odległości spaceru od siebie. Spośród tych trzech ciotek była najbardziej "mędrcem". Zawsze lubiłem rozmawiać z nią lub korzystać z porad, gdy dorastałem. Wiele Wigilii spędziło w jej małym mieszkaniu, wypełnionym rodziną, która nie pasowała. Później w latach, kiedy "dorastałem" i odwiedzałem moją mamę, zawsze znajdowałem czas, aby zobaczyć się z ciocią Merch. To było łatwe, ponieważ mieszkała naprzeciwko mojej matki. Była także poetką. Każdego Bożego Narodzenia pisała zaproszenie w formie wiersza, zapraszając rodzinę do Wigilii. Podobnie jak wiele rzeczy, powinienem był zachować je wszystkie. Oto jeden z nich.....................
Wspiąłem się na szczyt wzgórza

Nagle moje serce znieruchomiało
Ponad moją głową księżyc rzucił swój blaskponad miliony diamentów w dryfującym śniegu.

Nie wiedziałem o tym na tym wzgórzu

Było takie piękno, cnotliwe i spokojne.
Z lustrzanym lodem na zamarzniętym strumieniu,
Złapał i spełnił marzenie z dzieciństwa.

Gwiazda pasterska jest duża i jasna

To magia tej świątecznej nocy.
W całej dolinie i o.er wzgórzach
Anioły śpiewały, a świat stał nieruchomo.

Światła choinkowe migocząI

świecą się świece,
Podczas gdy dzwonki kościelne tak dzwonią
miękkie i niskie.
Nadszedł czas, moi przyjaciele
O tej szczególnej porze roku--
Kiedy narodziło się dziecko Chrystusa
Tak daleko stąd.
Ale, nie, dzieci, nie bójcie się
Proszę was wszystkich zebrać
Zarówno daleko, jak i blisko
Na świąteczną filiżankę.

1 comment:

  1. What a poet she was!

    Before his brain injury, my husband also penned many poems in Christmas letters or just for treasure hunts as part of finding hidden Christmas presents.

    I'm so glad I kept some of his writings ... but, as with you, many were not saved.

    And the ones we still have are all the more precious for it.

    Have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends... and enjoy your warm weather vacation!

    ReplyDelete