Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Arrival in Spain,

Today started out under stressful circumstances because just before takeoff I realized I forgot to take my International Drivers License. The last time I did that was in thee U.S. and the rental company refused to rent aw car to me. Our whole trip was based on using a car to visit various cities while living in a private home in the mountains. That town, Polop, is 1 hor from Alicante and, without a car, I had no idea how we could get there. So, for the next 2 1/2 hours during our flight I worried about how to solve the problem.

Arriving at the airport, I went directly to the rental car company, Firefly, gave them my reservation papers and waited for them to tell me the bad news.  It NEVER happened.
All they needed was proof I lived in an EU country, Poland, and that I had a valid driving license. It didn't matter that it was from the U.S. So I worried for nothing, signed the contract, got the car and Joan and I were on our way.

On this cloudy, overcast day we made our way over mountain roads to the place where we would stay. It is a gated community and we had difficulty gaining entry, I tried calling to our host only to find out he spoke only Spanish and didn't understand my questions. Finally when someone walked out of the pedestrian gate I walked in after him but the gate closed behind me and I was trapped inside. I couldn't find the house so I knocked on a few doors until I found one gentleman who helped find the house
 and gain entrance for me to drive in. The owner was waiting for us, showed us our room and the house and then we unpacked.

About 19:00 we started what was suppose to be, according to Google Maps, a 35 minute trip, to Calpe for dinner, However, the do not take into consideration take 60 km is the maximum you can drive on a road there and in many cases only 40km because of the many curves and tunnels through mountains. It actually took us 1 hour to get there,

In Calpe we found a nice restaurant, La Alcazaba, to have dinner in, Joan had a Caesar salad and I had chicken breast with vegetables. We also split a plate of calamari but it was not fried crispy enough for my taste. The bright side is I was able to order our dinner in Spanish, asked the waiter to correct any mistakes I made and he did. I also learned it is more common to say,,I would like to have a Caesar salad instead of saying
I would like to order a Caesar salad. Not a big thing, but good to know,

Dzisiejszy dzień zaczął się w stresujących okolicznościach, bo tuż przed startem zdałem sobie sprawę, że zapomniałem zabrać  międzynarodowe prawo jazdy. Ostatni raz, kiedy tak zrobiłem to było w USA i firma wynajmująca odmówiła wynajęcia mi samochodu. Nasza cała podróż bazuje na użyciu samochodu, aby odwiedzić różne miasta podczas gdy będziemy mieszkać w prywatnym domu w górach. Miasto o nazwie Polop jest o godzinę drogi od Alicante i nie mam pojęcia, jak moglibyśmy tam dotrzeć bez samochodu. Tak więc przez następne 2 1/2 godziny podczas naszego lotu martwiłem się, jak rozwiązać problem.

Przybywszy na lotnisko, poszedłem prosto do wypożyczalni samochodów Firefly, wręczyłem im moje papiery dotyczące rezerwacji i czekałem, aż przekażą mi złe wieści. NIC takiego się nie wydarzyło.

Potrzebowałem tylko dowodu, że mieszkam w kraju UE, w Polsce i że posiadam ważne prawo jazdy. Nie miało znaczenia, że to z USA, więc martwiłem się na zapas, podpisałem umowę, dostałem samochód i wtedy Joan i ja ruszyliśmy w drogę.
W tym ciemnym, zachmurzonym dniu pojechaliśmy górskimi drogami do miejsca, gdzie mieszkamy. Jest to osiedle strzeżone i mieliśmy trudności z dostaniem się do niego, więc próbowałem zadzwonić do naszego gospodarza, aby dowiedzieć się jak, ale on  mówił tylko po hiszpańsku i nie rozumiał moich pytań. Wreszcie, gdy ktoś wyszedł z bramy dla pieszych, wszedłem po nim na teren, ale brama zamknęła się za mną i zostałem uwięziony w środku. Nie mogłem znaleźć domu, więc zapukałam do kilku drzwi, dopóki nie znalazłem jednego gentlemana, który pomógł znaleźć nasz dom i otworzył wjazd, aby wjechać. Właściciel czekał na nas, pokazał nam nasz pokój i dom, a następnie rozpakowaliśmy się.

Około 19:00 zaczęliśmy  35. minutową podróży  do Calpe - na obiad,  według sugestii Google Maps. Jednak nie wzięliśmy pod uwagę, że  60 km jest to maksymalna szybkość, z jaką można jeździć na drodze a w wielu przypadkach to tylko 40 km z powodu wielu zakrętów i tuneli przez góry. Faktycznie zabrało nam godzinę, aby tam dojechać.

W Calpe znaleźliśmy miłą restaurację La Alcazaba, aby zjeść kolację, Joan jadła sałatkę Caesar , a ja miałam piersi z kurczaka z warzywami. Podzieliliśmy się też talerzem  kalmarów, ale na mój gust nie były wysmażone  na chrupiąco. Pozytywną stroną było to, że byłem w stanie zamówić nasz obiad  hiszpańsku, poprosiłam kelnera o poprawienie popełnionych błędów, a on to zrobił. Dowiedziałem się także , że częściej mówi się, „chciałbym mieć sałatkę Caesar, zamiast mówić, że „chciałbym zamówić sałatkę Caesar”. To nie jest wielka rzecz, ale dobrze wiedzieć,

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    I have finally caught up with you guys! And now you're off in Spain LOL!!

    Yes, have finished the months I have missed on your blog, and now, am going to
    try my best to stay current and to start going through all your photos listed on
    the sidebar (catching up once again). You take such great pics; I don't want to\
    miss them.

    Something you might want to check on though. You have a double showing of pics for
    April 19, 2017 listed (one is in the correct spot for 'Trips OUTSIDE Poland', but the repeat is shown in the 'Trips INSIDE Poland'. I know you just love all that warm weather in Spain right now, but sorry, David, you cannot put Spain inside Poland ;~} !

    ReplyDelete