Friday, February 03, 2017

A change.

Finally I had the courage to talk with my Polish teacher and tell him I was not satisfied with my progress, even a little discouraged, and something had to change. It is always grammar, grammar, grammar and although that is important the lessons I have now are way over my level. He agreed they were and it was a mistake but that using lesson books at a lower level was the only way I would have references to go back to when studying on my own. Conversation once a week would only last for one hour and the next day most of it would be forgotten. I couldn't disagree with that. We agreed to take a step back from the grammar to earlier lessons, repeat them and I should build vocabulary making up sentences using new words in all their different forms. However, that is not enough so from those sentences I should start using the words I learned in my Polish conversations. My biggest problem is not enough contact with people only speaking Polish and I totally agree with that.

W końcu miałem odwagę, by porozmawiać z moim nauczycielem języka polskiego i powiedzieć mu, że nie jestem zadowolony z moich postępów, nawet trochę zniechęcony i coś musi się zmienić. Zawsze jest gramatyka, gramatyka, gramatyka i mimo, że lekcje, które mam są ważne, to teraz są one ponad mój poziom. Zgodził się z tym, że to  był błąd, ale używanie podręcznika na niższym poziomie było  jedynym sposobem odwołania się do gramatyki podczas samodzielnej nauki. Rozmowa raz w tygodniu  trwałaby tylko  godzinę, a następnego dnia większość z niej byłaby zapomniana. Nie mogłem się z tym zgodzić. Uzgodniliśmy, że cofniemy się do poprzednich lekcji z gramatyki, powtórzymy je , a ja powinienem budować słownictwo tworząc zdania i używając nowe słowa  we wszystkich możliwych formach. Jednak to nie wystarcza i powinienem zacząć używać słów, jakich nauczyłem się w czasie moich rozmów po polsku. Moim największym problemem  jest nie wystarczający kontakt z ludźmi , którzy tylko mówią po polsku, z czym całkowicie się zgadzam.

2 comments:

  1. I am in the situation where I must speak Polish unless it is with someone who wants to speak English. My acquaintances tell me my Polish has improved greatly and I always remind them to correct my grammar and pronunciation. My advice is to go public and sit next to someone in the park and start a conversation. My funniest was with a guy who spoke with a Slask accent and I recognized it and that started the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice John but it's not so easy to do. You've had the advantage of Helena and now Marysia plus 3 times the years speaking Polish.

    ReplyDelete