Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A funny thing happened.

A funny thing happened today. Across the street from our flat is a little store we have been going to for about 6 years and occasionally I speak with the guy behind the counter in Polish. Today he has a new haircut, one of the new styles here, and I told him it looked good on him. Then I asked him what he called that style but he said he didn't understand my question. I tried a different way of asking but again he didn't understand. Then he told me I could ask him in English because he spoke English also. I was very surprised because for all this time I have been trying to communicate with him in Polish and all this time he could understand English if I spoken in that language. That was funny.

It was another rainy day, gray and cloudy all day. The season for that has begun and already we miss the sunlight. I just hope November 1st we will have a good day.

Joan spent some time reviewing her Spanish and I'm happy to say much of it she remembered. We have moved up to 5 numbers for her to remember and at first she had a little trouble with it but now it is better. I'm back to studying Polish and resuming my lessons with Zbyszek this Friday.

Dzisiaj zdarzyła się zabawna rzecz.  Naprzeciwko naszego mieszkania, po drugiej stronie ulicy jest mały sklep do którego chodzimy przez około 6 lat i od czasu do czasu z panem za ladą rozmawiam w języku polskim. Dziś miał nową fryzurę, jedną z tych w nowym stylu i powiedziałem mu, że jest mu w niej do twarzy. Wtedy zapytałem go, jak nazwa się ten styl, ale powiedział, że nie rozumie mojego pytania. Próbowałem  zapytać inaczej, ale znowu nie rozumiał. Potem powiedział mi, że mogę zapytać po angielsku, bo on także mówi w tym języku. Byłem bardzo zaskoczony, ponieważ przez cały ten czas starałem się komunikować z nim w po polsku i przez cały ten czas on mógł zrozumieć angielski, jeśli mówi w tym języku. To było śmieszne.

To był kolejny, cały deszczowy , szary i pochmurny  dzień. Sezon na taką pogodę rozpoczął się, a my już tęsknimy za słońcem. Mam nadzieję, że 1. listopada będziemy mieć dobry dzień.

Joan spędziła trochę czasu przeglądając hiszpański i jestem szczęśliwy, że wiele z niego pamiętała. Przeszliśmy do etapu zapamiętywania 5 numerów  i początkowo miała z tym trochę problemów, ale teraz jest lepiej. Wracam do nauki języka polskiego, a w ten piątek wznawiam lekcje ze Zbyszkiem.

1 comment:

  1. I have learned to ask if the person to whom I'm speaking knows English. My second year in Poland I tried to communicate in Polish. Finally the clerk asked me what I wanted in English. That was in 1974 when not too many people spoke English. Polish people love to speak English any chance they get. Maybe it's because they all have family in the USA, England, and Canada

    ReplyDelete