Sunday, July 31, 2016

Bird feeder

I did something today I haven't done since my days of living in the forest in Michigan many years ago. I had breakfast with the birds.

Sometimes in those days, especially in winter when food was hard for them to find, I would take whatever I made for breakfast and sit on the steps leading down from the front door. Usually it was orange pancakes and bread made from recipes in an old cookbook. I would tear small pieces of the bread or pancake and throw in down on the snow and in a short time a bird would appear to take it away, usually a bluebird or a black-capped chickadee. I tried just holding a piece in my hand to see if they would fly up to take it but they were too wild to do that.

Today I stopped at McDonalds and got an Egg McMuffin, pulled my car into a parking space, rolled down the window, tore off a piece of the muffing and laid it on the outside rear view mirror. Quickly. a  little sparrow appeared, grabbed the bread and flew away. I did that about three times and the fourth time I just stuck my hand out the window by the mirror  with the bread between two fingers. A sparrow flew to the mirror and took thw bread our of my hangers. I think I ended up feeding the birds more than I ate. Next I will take my camera to see if I can capture the moment.

Zrobiłem dziś coś, czego nie robiłem od czasu, gdy mieszkałem w lesie, w Michigan wiele lat temu. Zjadłem śniadanie z ptakami.
 
Wtedy czasem, szczególnie zimą, gdy miały problem ze znalezieniem jedzenia, brałem swoje śniadanie i siadałem na schodach przed drzwiami wejściowymi. Zwykle jadłem pomarańczowe naleśniki i chleb pieczony według przepisu ze starej książki kucharskiej. Drobiłem chleb lub naleśnika i rzucałem na śnieg. Po chwili pojawiał się ptaszek, by porwać okruszek. Zwykle był to północnoamerykański drozd albo sikorka. Próbowałem karmić je z ręki, jednak były zbyt dzikie by się to udało.
Zatrzymałem się dziś w McDonald'sie, zamówiłem Egg McMuffin, zatrzymałem auto na parkingu, opuściłem okno, oderwałem kawałek bułki i położyłem na bocznym lusterku. Szybciutko pojawił się mały wróbel, porwał chleb i odfrunął. Powtórzyłem to trzy razy, a za czwartym wystawiłem rękę za okno, przy lusterku, trzymając chleb między palcami. Wróbel podfrunął do lusterka i zabrał okruch. Sądzę, że ptaki zjadły więcej niż ja. Następnym razem wezmę aparat i spróbuję uchwycić tę chwilę.

No comments:

Post a Comment