Thursday, February 20, 2014

Medical Wednesday

Yes, it was a medical Wednesday for us. First Joan had a 10:00 appointment to refills on her prescriptions and then at 12:00 we met with Zbyszek for our weekly meeting. It was only an hour long this time because I had a dentist appointment at 1:30PM for the denture. This time it was finished and ready and now I have it. It feels like I have a can in my mouth and will take a little time to get use to it but I'm glad it's over with.

When we were done I took her home and headed to the hospital to meet with the surgeon who will remove my gall bladder.  It wasn't easy finding his office and when I finally did I was told he was doing an operation and I would have to wait.  Not knowing how long it would take didn't make me too happy so I called Joan to tell her about it and that I wanted to leave. She advised me to wait for at least 30 minutes and so I did. 10 minutes after we ended our conversation a doctor walked around the corner and it was the one I was waiting for. He spoke English, good for me, examined the papers from the tomography and then examined me. He confirmed that the gall bladder should be removed, told me why and then if I wanted to do it. I agreed with him and he looked at his schedule of operations.  He said he had an opening on June 16th. It was much earlier than I had heard before so I agreed.  I don't know if it was because three of his medical school classmates are acquaintances of mine and two of them spoke to him about me. At any rate, if things go as planned I will be in the hospital for four days, most likely in a room with four or five other patients. That should be quite an experience and give me a lot of practice speaking in Polish.

The four day stay makes me a little apprehensive, not because of the hospital but because of the language. However, like I said, it will give me the chance to practice speaking.  Joan will be on her own for those four days but last year when I had to fly back to the U.S. she was alone for seven days so I don't think it will be a problem for her.

Tak , to była dla nas medyczna środa . Najpierw Joan poszła o 10:00 by wypisać recepty na leki , a następnie o 12:00 spotkaliśmy się ze Zbyszkiem na naszym cotygodniowym spotkaniu . Mieliśmy ponad godzinę czasu , bo wizytę  u dentysty w sprawie protezy miałem o 13:30 . Tym razem byłai gotowa  i teraz ją mam. Mam uczucie jakbym miał puszkę w ustach i zajmie trochę czasu, aby korzystać  z niej, ale cieszę się, że mam to już za sobą.

Kiedy skończyliśmy, zawiozłem Joan do domu, po czym  udałem się do szpitala, aby spotkać się z chirurgiem , który usunie mi woreczek żółciowy . Nie było łatwo znaleźć jego gabinet i kiedy w końcu udało mi, powiedziano mi, że operuje i będę musiał czekać . Nie wiedząc, jak długo to potrwa, co mnie nie uszczęśliwiało,  zadzwoniłem do Joan, aby jej o tym  powiedzieć , a także o tym, że chciałem zrezygnować. Ona poradziła mi zaczekać co najmniej 30 minut i tak zrobiłem . 10 minut po tym, jak zakończyliśmy naszą rozmowę lekarz ukazał się za rogiem i to był ten, na którego czekałem . Mówił po angielsku , dobrze dla mnie , przejrzał dokumenty z tomografii , a następnie zbadał mnie . Potwierdził, że woreczek żółciowy należy usunąć , powiedział mi dlaczego , a następnie , czy chcę to zrobić. Zgodziłem się z nim, a on spojrzał na swój harmonogramu . Powiedział, że może operować w dniu 16 czerwca . To było o wiele wcześniej , niż słyszałem przedtem, więc się zgodziłem . Nie wiem , czy to dlatego, że trzech jego kolegów ze studiów medycznych są moimi znajomymi , a dwóch z nich rozmawiało z nim o mnie . W każdym razie , jeśli wszystko pójdzie zgodnie z planem, będę w szpitalu cztery dni , najprawdopodobniej w pokoju z czterema lub pięcioma innymi pacjentami . To powinno być całkiem dobre doświadczenie, które da  mi możliwość mówienia w języku polskim .

Cztery dni pobytu przysparza mi trochę obaw , nie z powodu szpitala , ale ze względu na język . Jednak , jak już mówiłem , to daje mi szansę mówienia po polsku . Joan będzie zdana na siebie przez te cztery  dni, ale w zeszłym roku , gdy poleciałem do USA i  była sama przez siedem dni, więc nie sądzę, że będzie to dla niej problem.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, I hope your surgery in June will go well. Good thing you've got a good surgeon looking after you so the waiting time is fairly soon.I also noticed your Polish is getting a lot better, I should of written my comments in Polish, what do you think?
    It's interesting what you wrote about how many people are interested in coming to live in Poland. I know few that are already in process of doing it. Some of my friends in Poland and even here,when I tell them about possible moving back there, shake their heads in disbelief. As why would someone do such thing, after organizing own life in North America. Where life seem to be easier and certain. Where you don't have to worry about leaving your home and go on vacation, or leave your car parked on the street without worrying. Perhaps you could consider writing about these concerns on your blog Dave. I know you get tired of the same topic,
    Thanks
    Basia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Basia for your comments. In truth, however, my Polish is getting better but what you read in Polish is a translation by a friend here in Poland that is why it is correct. On the weekend she visits her father and then a program does the translation. Maybe someday my Polish will be good enough for me to write but for now I am thankful that someone else can write it properly for me.

    ReplyDelete