Friday, January 25, 2013

Poem

My cousin, Ron, sent me this poem.

I get this poem every winter and every winter I love re-reading it.
It's a beautiful poem and very well written.


A poem by Abigail Elizabeth McIntyre
Shit!
It's cold!
The End.
I thought it was funny, the poem, I mean.  Joan and I have lived in places like that and at times felt the same way. If you know how to dress for the cold, it's not bad even at -20.  I think about the winters I spent in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, isolated in a forest without close neighbors, no electricity, running water, central heating or a bathroom inside the house I built with my son. Cold as it was at different times, the beauty and solitude of the forest in winter was magnificient.  There was beauty in each day and so quiet you could almost hear the snow falling. I've never REALLY liked living in big cities so for me it was a great experience.

Today I shoveled the balcony and removed about 6 inches of snow. It's probably not necessary to do that but the last two years the apartment below us had water damage to their wall below our balcony after winter so I removed the snow to prevent such a repeat of that.  Other than that we stayed home and studied in the morning and then I had an appointment in the afternoon.

Myślałem, że to zabawne, ten wiersz, jaki mam na myśli. Joan i ja mieszkaliśmy w takich miejscach i czasami czułem się tak samo.
Jeśli wiesz, jak się ubrać , gdy jest zimno, to nie jest źle, nawet przy -20. Myślę o zimach, które spędziłem na Górnym Półwyspie Michigan, samodzielnie w lesie, bez bliskich sąsiadów, przy braku elektryczności, bieżącej wody, centralnego ogrzewania czy łazienki wewnątrz domu. Zbudowałem ten dom z moim synem. Zimno, jakie bywało w różnych momentach, piękno i samotność w zimowym lesie były wspaniałe. Każdego dnia było pięknie i tak cicho, że można było niemal usłyszeć padający śnieg. Tak naprawdę nigdy nie lubiłem życia w dużych miastach, więc było to dla mnie wspaniałe doświadczenie.

Dziś odśnieżałem balkon i usunąłem około 6 centymetrów śniegu. Tego chyba nie trzeba robić, ale przez ostatnie dwa lata mieszkanie pod nami miało po zimie uszkodzoną przez wodę ścianę poniżej naszego balkonu, więc usunąłem śnieg zapobiegając powtórnemu zdarzeniu. Poza tym, że zostaliśmy w domu i rano uczyliśmy się, to po południu miałem jeszcze umówione spotkanie .

 

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn6:52 PM

    Hi...Love the poem--very appropriate in Michigan right now, especially the first few days of this week. Single digits for days!! Now we are just two degrees different than you are...we have 16degrees right now! Love your memories of your time in the UP--it's soooo beautiful, even with the cold--below zero temps!! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete