Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gołąbki







Joan made her first attempt at making gołąbki today. She thought about  it for some time and the last shopping trip we bought all the ingredients needed.  She made nine of them and we ate four tonight.  They didn't turn out as good as she expected so now she has to do a little experimenting with the sauce and herbs.  If any reader has any tips or suggestions Joan would welcome them.  Even though they weren't as good as she wanted or I remembered I really appreciate the time and effort she put into this meal.  She likes having the time to try new recipes.

Joan zrobiła jej pierwsza próba stworzenia gołąbki dziś. Myślała o tym od pewnego czasu, a ostatnie zakupach kupiliśmy wszystkie składniki potrzebne. Ona się dziewięć z nich i zjedliśmy cztery wieczorem. Nie okaże się tak dobry, jak się spodziewała, tak teraz ma zrobić trochę eksperymentować z sosem i ziołami. Jeśli ktoś z czytelników ma jakieś porady i sugestie Joan by ich powitać. Nawet jeżeli nie były tak dobre jak chciała lub pamiętałem Naprawdę doceniam czasu i wysiłku włożyła w ten posiłek. Lubi o czas, aby spróbować nowych receptur.

6 comments:

  1. Beata7:40 PM

    Hi David and Joan!

    For your first try, the golabki look quite good (and it's true, they are time consuming).
    I noticed that you cooked them in a frying pan - that's a bit unusual. I always line a tall pot with some discarded cabbage leaves, then layer the golabki, then cover then with water, add the tomato sauce and either cook them on the stove-top for a couple of hours or bake them in the oven.
    Also, they can be bland sometimes, so I add some spices to the meat (whatever I have on hand) and mix the tomato sauce with dried basil and a bit of sugar.

    Anyway, there are as many variations to golabki as there are to meatloaf! I hope you find your own favorite.

    PS I sold the car in France, so unfortunately, there won't be a meeting in Kandulsky's...this time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dish, but I don't think there is "right" way to make it; it's up to the cook! I saw a debate on a web site on whether the sauce should be tomato or mushroom based, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn3:14 PM

    Joan.....they look delicious!!!! And, yes, they are a dish that ends up being your own recipe. I have made them for years (and tubs of them) and yours look great. I pressure cook mine, but for years I put them in the oven. I use tomato soup for the tomato base...only because there is already lots of flavor and go from there! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna from Florida9:42 PM

    Hello Joan and David,

    For your first atempt at making golabki, they look great.

    There are few things to consider when making this dish.

    1. I always precooked my cabbage head, so leaves will be soft and would not take as long to cook later

    2. I always used half beef and half pork, ground, so the stuffing would not be to dry, if only one type of meat used

    3. Precook your onins in the pan with butter until golden brown and soft

    4. Add eggs to bind the stuffing and use stale bread soaked in milk and squeezed almost dry to add little bulk (do not use bread crumbs, they soak up to much moisture). I do not like to add rice to my stuffing, just meat alone, you can add cooked dried mushrooms for more flavor

    5. Add spices, salt and black pepper to taste, mix well and let rest for at least 10 15 minutes for flavors to mix

    6. Like Beata said, either cook them in pot or bake in Dutch pan in the oven. I cooked mine in water with one boullion cube to add a little flavor or you can mix tomato sauce with some water and immerse your golabki in liquid. They will have to be covered completely, I even put leftover cabbage leaves on top of golabki

    7. Taste tomato sauce and if not enough flavor, add some spices to it

    I hope this will help Joan to make perfect golabki next time.

    First time was perfect, next time will be even better,

    Good luck and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan good try...but hmmm

    First the filling looks good and I normally boil the whole cabbage (easy to break up and roll)
    Secondly the golabki MUST be put into a pot and cooked under boil, (golabki fully covered with water)

    Take the golabki from pot cover with tomato sauce (yours looks pretty bland Sorry) and back into the owen so Golabki are slightly baked and crispy... try again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eva, yes it was bland. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete