Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Why me?









Yes, why me? We started our day in Granada by going by the strike area on our way to the University of Granada.  There were about 200 people gathered in an area and police nearby.  We passed them and walked up the long hill to the University to take a look at this old place.  Very beautiful with nice courtyards and halls.  We sat outside on a bench for a while and watched different nationalities of students going by.

Back down the hill the strikers were going from business to business chanting that the business should close for the day.  In some cases it worked, for a little while, until the strikers were gone and then the businesses reopened.  Riot police arrived, got dressed for the occassion but there was no trouble.

We walked toward the main cathedral but found it close until 4PM so we went into a little shop for Joan to buy a t-shirt from Granada and two postcards.  I bought a book I had a long time ago, Tales of the Alhambra.  That's when it happened to me.

As I stepped down the slippery stair my feet flew out from under me and I landed, full force, on my back.  My screams of agony drew a quick crowd and I laid on the ground in pain.  There was a doctor passing by and he came to my rescue, called an ambulance and began to examine me.  Ten minutes later he said he thought I would be OK just very sore in my back from the force of the fall.  He managed to get me up and walking and by the time the ambulance arrived I told them I would be fine, thanked them and told them they could leave.  They said if the pain got stronger tonight I should go immediately to the hospital and I will but for now it is just difficult to lay down or walk a lot.  Hopefully, it will get better overnight as tomorrow is our day for the Alhambra visit.  Again, I ask the question..............why me?

Tak, dlaczego ja? Zaczęliśmy dzień w Granadzie, przechodząc przez obszar strajku na naszej drodze do Uniwersytetu w Granadzie. Było około 200 osób zebrało się w okolicy i policji w pobliżu. Mijamy je i podszedł długo wzgórza na Uniwersytecie spojrzeć na to stare miejsce. Bardzo piękne z miłą dziedzińce i sale. Siedzieliśmy na ławce na zewnątrz przez chwilę i patrzył różnych narodowości przez studentów wyjeżdżających.

W dół wzgórza strajkujących będzie od firmy do firmy śpiewanie, że firma należy zamknąć na dzień. W niektórych przypadkach to działało, na chwilę, aż do strajku nie było, a następnie ponownie przedsiębiorstw. Riot policji przybył ubrany na tę okazję, ale nie było kłopotów.

Szliśmy w kierunku głównego katedry, ale stwierdziła, że w pobliżu aż godzina szesnasta więc poszliśmy do sklepiku dla Joan kupić t-shirt z Granada i dwie pocztówki. Kupiłem książkę miałem dawno temu, Tales of the Alhambra. Wtedy stało się dla mnie.

Jak ustąpił śliskie schody nogi wyleciały spod mnie i wylądował, pełne życie, na plecach. Moje krzyki agonii zwrócił szybkie tłum i kładzie się na ziemi w bólu. Nie było lekarza przechodzi i przyszedł mi na ratunek, wezwała pogotowie i zaczął mnie zbadać. Dziesięć minut później powiedział, że myślałem, że się bardzo OK tylko ból w plecach od siły upadku. Udało mu się mnie i pieszo, a do czasu pogotowia przyjechał Powiedziałem im, że będę w porządku, podziękował i powiedział im, mogą odejść. Powiedzieli, że jeśli ból się silniejszy dziś mam iść natychmiast do szpitala i będę, ale na razie jest to po prostu trudno jest ustalić czy dużo chodzić. Mamy nadzieję, że będzie lepiej na noc, jutro jest nasz dzień na wizytę Alhambra. Ponownie zadam pytanie .............. dlaczego ja?

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your fall, and I truly have empathy. On September 1 I was walking back to my car after teaching my first class of the nurse educators group. The weather was magical and the students are wonderful. I was on top of the world, until suddenly I was flat on my face on the sidewalk. I landed very much on my left side and ended up with a really bad soft tissue injury of left hand and some bruises and aches elsewhere.

    I don't know -- why us? Maybe it keeps us humble!

    ReplyDelete