Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Big flat!





Joan had her second look at one of the old style apartments today when she went to meet with a new acquaintance. It was in an old building on Reya street, on the third floor. She said the place was huge, maybe 120-150m, high ceilings and really large rooms.

While she was there I decided to go to the bookstore for foreign langauges and see if I could find a book on Polish verbs. The one we have has only 300 and we'd like a bigger one. When I got there sonmeone was just pulling out of a paid parking place so I felt lucky. I pulled in, turned off dthe car and reached in my pocket for change for the parking ticket. We don't have parking meters in Poland, we have parking tickets. At the end of each block is a machine that you put your zlotys into and it prints out a small ticket for the amount of parking time you get based on how much you pay. You take the ticket and place it on your dashboard. Meter maids walk around and check the tickets. Of course, with no change the parking place was of no use and I had to leave and go to the bank to get a little money.

On the way to the bank I was shocked when I got to Marcinskiego street corner. All of the one story retail building were demolished and the place was completely empty. I guess they are building new stores there.

I returned to the bank and unbelievably the same space was still open so I pulled in, got out of the car, walked to the ticket machine, got the ticket and returned to put in the the car. I walked across the street to the bookstore and went inside. It's a nice store with books on German, Spanish, English, French but not a lot on Polish. Unfortunately I didn't find what I was looking for so I returned home.

At 2:30PM I went to pick up Joan but was early so I walked around the neighborhood and took some pictures of interesting buildings.

Joan miała jej drugie spojrzenie na jeden z apartamentów starego stylu dzisiaj kiedy ona poszła spotkać się z nową znajomością. To było w starym wykorzystywaniu Reya ulicy, na trzeciej podłodze. Ona powiedziała, że miejsce jest ogromne, być może 120 150m, wysokie sufity i naprawdę duże pokoje.

Podczas gdy ona była tam zdecydowałem się pójść do księgarni dla języków obcych i zobaczyć jeżeli mógłbym znaleźć książkę na polskich czasownikach. Jeden mamy mają tylko 300 i chcielibyśmy większy jeden. Kiedy dostałem tam ktoś właśnie ciągnął z opłaconego parkingu tak poczułem się szczęśliwy. Wjechałem, wyłączyłem samochód i sięgnąłem w mojej kieszeni dla zmiany dla mandatu za złe parkowanie. Nie mamy parkometrów w Polsce, mamy mandaty za złe parkowanie. Przy końcu każdego bloku jest maszyna, że kładziesz twoje złote do i to drukuje mały bilet dla ilości parkingu ustalają czas stajesz się oparty na ilu płacisz. Bierzesz bilet i umieszczasz to na twojej tablicy rozdzielczej. Dziewczyny metra przechadzają się i sprawdzają bilety. Oczywiście, z żadną zmianą parking był żadnego użycia i musiałem wyruszyć i pójść do banku by dostać trochę pieniędzy.

W drodze do banku byłem wstrząśnięty kiedy dostałem się do rogu ulicy Marcinskiego. Wszystko z jednej sprzedaży detalicznej historii budowy była zburzona i miejsce było zupełnie puste. Sądzę, że oni budują nowe sklepy tam.

Wróciłem do banku i niewiarygodnie ta sama przestrzeń była jeszcze otwarta tak wjechałem, wydostałem się z samochodu, chodzonego do maszyny biletu , dostałem bilet i wróciłem włożyć samochód. Chodziłem poprzez ulicę do księgarni i poszedłem wewnątrz. To jest miły sklep z książkami na niemieckim, hiszpańskim, angielski, francuski ale nie dużo na języku polskim. Niestety nie znalazłem czego szukałem tak wróciłem do domu.

O 2:30PM poszedłem podnieść Joan ale byłem wcześnie tak przeszedłem się sąsiedztwo i zrobiłem kilka zdjęć zainteresowania budynków.





5 comments:

  1. I think I noticed in Torun that parking was done differently. One pays a man who is around the block. One nice thing about traveling is that my car is in the garage at home and I get around with my feet and public transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:19 AM

    Poland and US sign deal on social security
    2009-03-04, 14:50
    Within the coming 7 years, nearly 45 thousand Polish and American citizens will benefit from the deal on social security between the two countries.
    According to the agreement, the time that a citizen of one country has worked in the other country will be acknowledged by both countries as work experience, and factored into one's social benefits. As a result, about 138 million dollars will reach the interested citizens.

    'From now on, countless hard working Polish citizens will receive the benefits due them from their years of work in the United States and in Poland combined. Also it means that people will no longer be double taxed on two social security systems, rather they'll pay into one, regardless of two countries they may work in,' said US ambassador to Poland, Victor Ashe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Hi David and Joan, it's me, Joan's new aquaintance! Thank you so much for allowing Joan to come over and visit me yesterday...ha ha. Seriously, thank you Joan for taking the time out of your day to visit. I really enjoyed your company and I hope I didn't scare you away?! Yes, this old flat built in 1912 is huge, but it's two combined into one. It's about 137sqm.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful buildings! I live in St. Augustine Florida in the United States, and the city is slowly changing to more pay machines, rather than single parking meters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick,
    Thanks for looking at our blog. How did you find out about it?

    ReplyDelete