Thursday, February 26, 2009

Waiting room.


I went to the doctors today because I still have a little pain in my back from the cold. It's always an experience in the waiting room. There were two people ahead of me, my appointment was at 2PM and theirs were earlier than mine. Another woman came in after me with a time of 2:15 for her appointment. A young woman came in next with a time of 2:30. I waited, the first lady went in and came out. The second woman was about to go in but the young woman tried to go in before her. They argued and the young woman sat down. I was next in line. The woman came out, I stood up and before I could reach the office door the young woman ran in front of me and went in. I was angry, to say the least, but I sat back down and waited. 10 minutes later the young woman came out and left. I went in and the doctor said it was very polite of me to let the young woman ahead of me. I told her I didn't let her in, she just ran in front of me. I then told the doctor the waiting room was always a disaster for people waiting to get and should be better organized. The doctors have a list of the daily patients and should at least come out and ask the next patient in line to come in. This is a difference between private and national insurance. In private practice, the doctor comes out to get his patient, in national the doctor just says "Next" while sitting at his desk. I told her they should hire me to organize the waiting room and she laughed. She asked how it was in the U.S. and I told her that each doctor has his/her own nurse and they come and get the patient. Again she laughed and said in Poland, doctors don't have nurses.


Cousin Oliwia Kupińska, studying in England, was visited by her brother, Marciń and sent along some pictures which I have posted.

Poszedłem do doktorów dzisiaj ponieważ jeszcze mam trochę bólu w moich plecach od zimna. To jest zawsze doświadczenie w poczekalni. Tam byli dwaj ludzie na przodzie mnie, mój umówiony termin był przy 2PM i ich był wcześniejszy niż mój. Inna kobieta weszła po mnie z czasem 2:15 dla jej umówionego terminu. Młoda kobieta weszła następny z czasem 2:30. Czekałem, pierwsza pani weszła i wyszła. Druga kobieta miała dookoła wejść ale młoda kobieta spróbowała wejść przed nią. Oni argumentowali i młoda kobieta siadała. Byłem następny w kolejce. Kobieta wyszła, stanąłem i zanim mógłbym osiągnąć drzwi biura, które młoda kobieta prowadziła przede mną i weszła. Byłem rozgniewany, skromnie mówiąc, ale rozsiadłem się na dół i czekałem. 10 minut później młoda kobieta wyszła i opuszczała. Wszedłem i doktor powiedział, że to jest bardzo grzeczne mnie by pozwolić młodej kobiecie na przodzie mnie. Powiedziałem jej nie wpuściłem jej, ona właśnie biegła przede mną. Wtedy powiedziałem doktorowi poczekalnia była zawsze katastrofą dla ludzi czekających by dostać się i powinna być lepiej zorganizowana. Doktorzy mają listę codziennych pacjentów i powinni przynajmniej wyjść i pytać następnego pacjenta w linii by wejść. To jest różnica między szeregowcem a ubezpieczeniem społecznym. Prywatnie praktyka, doktor wychodzi dostać jego pacjenta, w narodowym doktor właśnie mówi "Następny" podczas siedzenia przy jego biurku. Powiedziałem jej oni powinni wynająć mnie by zorganizować poczekalnię i ona śmiała się. Ona pytała jak to było w Stanach Zjednoczonych i powiedziałem jej, że każdy doktor ma jego/jej własną pielęgniarkę i oni przychodzą i dostają pacjenta. Znowu ona śmiała się i powiedziała w Polsce, doktorzy nie mają pielęgniarek.

Kuzyna Oliwia Kupińska, studiując w Anglii, był odwiedzony przez jej brata, Marciń i wysłał naprzód kilka zdjęć, które mam postede.

6 comments:

  1. They may wear a uniform but there are not many nurses in a physicians' offices in the United States. Next time ask the "nurse" if she or he is a nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:44 AM

    That's something normal in Poland but not everywhere doctor says "Next" it depends where. I know place where NFZ's doctors have nurses to call patients, sometimes you can find "number's system" like You have in your's ZUS, sometimes you have appointment on exact time and doctor call patients by name, but for me in 80% of cases there is situation, when you have to register first, then ask in waiting room who's last one to see doctor, and then wait, wait, wait.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:57 AM

    David, your experience in a Polish health clinic may have been frustrating, but in Poland its always Ladies before gentleman, its good to know your are a real gentleman. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:20 AM

    to "Anonymous". Yes "Ladies First" is common in Poland, bul also you can always find Person who don't want to wait in line and we have a little race in waiting room

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:56 AM

    The lady may have needed urgent medical treatment, most Poles are not so rude to jump the queue.
    David must look so fit and well that the lady wondered what he was doing in the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, the lady did not need urgent treatment, she just didn't want to wait. I wasn't in surgery, only a doctors waiting room. Maybe most Poles are not so rude to jump the queque but this is not the first time it has happened.

    ReplyDelete