Monday, December 15, 2008

Elvis is alive!



We have several newspapers in Poznań. They compete with each by giving away or selling cheap DVD's with their respective newpapers. I couldn't believe it today when I saw in Gazeta Wyborcza....Elvis Presley for Christmas DVD. Cost5.50zl.

Of all the DVD's they could have used for Christmas, why Elvis Presley? Why not a DVD with Polish Christmas Carols. I live in Poland, I want to hear Polish Christmas carols not Elvis Presley. Again it shows the influence America has on Poland. I have nothing against Elvis nor was I a big fan of his while growing up.


Wednesday is the 7th birthday of cousin Rózia so we wanted to buy her a present. We decided on a popular book for children of her age, Duch starej kamienicy by Anna Onichimowska. I asked a few acquaintances for recommendations and this was the unanimous decision. I went to our local Empik store, it's like Borders in the U.S. where they sell books, DVD's and magazines. They didn't have it so I had to go to Plac Wolnośći to the larger Empik. I asked one of the clerks and she found it for me.

Mamy kilka gazet w Poznań. Oni współzawodniczą z każdym przez wydawanie albo sprzedającego się taniego DVD z ich poszczególnymi gazetami. Nie mógłbym uwierzyć tego dzisiaj kiedy zobaczyłem w Gazeta Wyborcza....Elvis Presley dla Bożego Narodzenia DVD. Cost5.50zl.

Całego DVD, którego oni mogli użyć dla Bożego Narodzenia, dlaczego Elvis Presley? Dlaczego nie DVD z polskimi Bożym Narodzeniem Carol. Mieszkam w Polsce, chcę usłyszeć polskim kolędom nie Elvisa Presleya. Znowu to pokazuje, że Ameryka wpływu ma na sobie Polskę. Nie mam niczego przeciw Elvisowi ani nie byłem ja dużym entuzjastą jego podczas dorastania.

Środa jest 7. urodzin kuzyna Rózia tak chcieliśmy kupić jej prezent. Zdecydowaliśmy się na popularną książkę dla dzieci jej wieku, Duch starej kamienicy przez Annę Onichimowska. Pytałem kilka znajomości dla poleceń i to była jednomyślna decyzja. Poszedłem do naszego miejscowego Empik sklepu, to jest jak Granice w Stanach Zjednoczonych gdzie oni sprzedają książki, DVD i magazyny. Oni nie mieli tego tak musiałem pójść do Plac Wolnośći do większego Empik. Pytałem jednego z urzędników i ona znalazła to dla mnie.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:46 PM

    Hi David and Joan,

    I had a thought regarding your search for a home to buy. Since you are so handy at building perhaps you could find a situation where you could move into one of these country homes or palaces as caretaker in lieu of paying rent. Since there are so many of them it might be worth exploring.

    --Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:04 AM

    Hi...
    Again, I enjoyed the slide show!!!
    The house to buy looks like it's in good condition (the inside). Hopefully you can go through it and check it all out. I would like the idea that it is close to Golina. How far are you from Golina now? I also thought the idea from Carol was very interesting--maybe a consideration!!??
    By the way-----I AM an Elvis fan...and do like his Christmas music.....all his music!!!!! Had to put that in!!! I also like the Polish Christmas carols very much...I remember singing them in church during the Christmas season.
    Hugs,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I thought about the caretaker idea but I think it's a little more difficult to find something like that here, especially not being fluent in Polish. Besides that, we would like to own our house. Restoring one of those places is certainly high on the list of things I would like to do, even as a volunteer.

    ReplyDelete