Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Post election

All day we watched the TV about the election. Reaction in Europe has been very positive except for Russia where President Dmitri Medvedev took advantage of the euphoria in America today to order the deployment of missiles inside Europe as a response to US plans for a missile defence shield.

Speaking within hours of Barack Obama's election as the new US President, Mr Medvedev announced that Russia would base Iskander missiles in its Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad next to the border with Poland. It's just north of Elblag when you click on the map. The President failed to congratulate Mr Obama or even to mention him by name during his 85-minute state of the nation address televised live across Russia. In his only reference to the US election, he said that he hoped the new administration would work to repair its relationship with Moscow. He said: "I stress that we have no problem with the American people, no inborn anti-Americanism. And we hope that our partners, the US administration, will make a choice in favour of full-fledged relations with Russia."


Cały dzień obejrzeliśmy telewizję o wyborze. Reakcja w Europie była pozytywny bardzo poza Rosją gdzie Prezydent Dmitri Medvedev skorzystał z euforii w Ameryce dzisiaj by zamówić rozwinięcie pocisków wewnątrz Europy jak odpowiedź do amerykańskich planów dla tarczy obrony pocisku.

Mówienie w granicach godzin Barack Obama wybór jak nowy amerykański Prezydent, pan Medvedev zapowiedziany, że Rosja oparłaby pociski Iskander w jego bałtyckim exclave Kaliningrad obok granicy z Polską. Prezydent zawiódł przy pogratulowaniu pana Obama albo nawet by wspomnieć go z nazwiska podczas jego 85 minuty stanu adresu narodu transmitowany na żywo przez telewizję poprzez Rosję. W jego jedynym odniesieniu do amerykańskiego wyboru, on powiedział, że on ma nadzieję, że nowa administracja pracowałaby naprawić jego stosunki z Moskwą. On powiedział: "Akcentuję, że nie mamy żadnego problemu z amerykańskimi ludźmi, żadnym wrodzonym anty amerykanizmem. I mamy nadzieję, że nasi partnerzy, amerykańska administracja, zrobimy wybór za upierzone relacje z Rosją".

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:01 PM

    Davidzie, nie przejmuj się przemówieniem Miedwiediewa. On doskonale obrazuje odwieczną rosyjską dumę, którą potrafi wyrazić tylko poprzez pogardę dla innych narodów. Rozumiem, że jego słowa Cię nieco zabolały. Rosjanie Polakom również starają się dopiec na różne sposoby. Ten naród po prostu nie potrafi z nikim inaczej rozpocząć rozmowy, jak tylko od straszenia, pokazów siły i wielkości Rosji. Oni takie postępowanie mieli wpajane przez setki lat. Im trudno się pogodzić z faktem, że świat coraz bardziej liczy się ze słowem USA, a coraz mniej z Rosją. Mi się również przemówienie rosyjskiego prezydenta nie podobało, aczkolwiek nie zdziwiło mnie. Nie przejmuj się.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Korina 7 said..........David, do not worry about what Medvedev said. He perfectly illustrates the eternal Russian pride, which can only express contempt for other nations. I understand that the words you read bother you. Russians, Poles also seek to show thier strength in different ways. This nation simply can not speak to anyone else without trying to frighten, using a show of force and the size of Russia. They have intimidated proceedings for hundreds of years. It is difficult for them to reconcile with the fact that the world is increasingly looking to the word of the U.S., and less and less with Russia. I di not like the speech by Russian President, although it did not bother me. Do not worry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:05 PM

    David....
    Thank you......for my wish !!!!!
    Hugs,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:46 AM

    Stop being so pro American David, you are living in Poland, Russia is our friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have posted this comment from this person, Anonymous, because I cannot respond in private. He or she will not tell his or her real name or give me an email address to write to.
    Since your first post some time ago I have received more than one negative comment from you. This latest one I will reply to.
    I am an American. Yes, all of my ancestors are Polish and I choose to live in Poland but I am an American/Pole. With the election of Barack Obama I am once again proud to be an American. In America, all things are possible.
    As for Russia being our friend.........."friends" do not threaten their neighbors existence, "friends" do not enslave a nation and "friends" do not massacre thousands of it's neighbors in a forest called Katyn.
    The internet is a marvelous thing where you can choose what you want to read. For the future,I would appreciate it if my blog is not one of your choices. I do not need comments from such a person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:28 AM

    Może nie władam biegle językiem angielskim, ale to co napisał niejaki Anonymous rozumiem.
    Otóż uważam, że Rosja nie jest przyjacielem Polski, Rosja nie jest przyjacielem nikogo. My tylko mieszkamy obok siebie. I tyle. A to, że zrobiłeś wczoraj proamerykański wpis... Masz do tego prawo, niezależnie, gdzie żyjesz. Ja jestem Polką, kocham mój kraj, nie zamierzam go opuszczać, a i tak na swoim blogu zrobiłam proamerykański wpis. Bo się bardzo cieszę ze zwycięstwa Obamy. Myślę, że ten amerykański wybór niesie ze sobą wizję zmian i to nie tylko dla Amerykanów ale i dla świata. Podzielam Twoją radość ze zwycięstwa Baracka Obamy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Korina7 wrote......Perhaps I do not understand English competently, but this what was written by some Anonymous I understand.
    And so I tell you that Russia is not a friend of Poland, Russia is a friend to nobody. We only live side by side. And so muconly that. And as for the pro American comment, David,that you made yesterday ... You have to the a right {a law}, independently, where you live. I am Pole, I love my country, I do not intend to leave it, and thus on my own blogu I made proamerican comments. Because I am glad very much about the victory Obamy. I think that this American choice carries with it the vision of changes and is not only for Americans but for the world. I share Your joy from the victory Barack Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dziękuję Korina dla twoich komentarzy. Dzielimy nadzieję dla przyszłości z Nowo obranego prezydenta Obama.
    Thank you Korina for your comments. We share the hope for the future with President-elect Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  9. True, the intensity of the election was rather insane here. More so, I was in Istanbul about a month before, and the first question I encountered was about the nature of American politics this term.

    ReplyDelete