Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sernik wiedeński

Here's a new recipe for another cheesecake. It comes from the writer of Polish Blog(blogs@transparent.com). Below this blog is another from today.
I use two 300-gram packages and a little bit, which comes out neatly to three 8-oz packages. Make sure it’s the normal full fat version, because otherwise it will not work.But before you start getting all cheesy, you need a crust. The original recipe calls for a special “kruche ciasto” (shortcrust pastry), which really, who has the time to make it these days? I make normal graham cracker crust and it works just fine. Except I use Marie biscuits, because I like them better than graham crackers.
A proper sernik wiedeński is made in a springform pan (the one with a removable bottom) but really, any old pan will do. I use a springform, but not because I’m such a traditionalist, but because I don’t own any other cake pan.
And speaking of traditional… traditionally, this sernik was made with 12 eggs. Yep. Twelve. The original recipe was obviously created in the blissfully ignorant days when cholesterol was still unknown.
I only use 4 or 5 eggs, depending on how big they are. The trickiest part in the whole sernik making process is separating the yolks and the whites. Once you’re done with that, it’s a (cheese)cake walk, really.
This is what you do:The yolks go into a BIG bowl, the whites into a smaller bowl.Beat the whites until they’re stiff. And I mean really stiff. (I can’t imagine how they did this in the days before electric mixers, those poor indentured servants…) When you’re done beating the whites, put them in the fridge until you’ll need them. Which will be soon.
Now I have a confession to make. I’m allergic to measuring cups. I don’t even own a set. I just add things until I either like the taste or have to throw out whatever it is that I’m making.
But to make it easy for you, I tried to measure today just how much powdered (confectioner’s) sugar (cukier puder) you’ll need. And the answer is: about 1 cup and a little bit, depending on how old and sour your cream cheese is and how sweet you like your stuff.
Add some of that powdered sugar to your egg yolks and beat them until they become white and fluffy. Start adding the cream cheese. Really, it doesn’t matter if you do it all at once, or bit by bit. I’m lazy, I do it all at once. Add some vanilla if you like; vanilla powder, vanilla extract, it’s all good.
The traditional recipe calls for orange peel, but a) I don’t like orange peel, and b) who has the time to peel, chop and gently roast that stuff, huh? Not me. The original recipe also calls for raisins. Those I do add, about a handful, which I guess would be about 1/3 cup. You can soak them in rum or bourbon, if you like. I don’t. Today I forgot to soak them even in water. It didn’t matter. Sernik turned out just fine.
Baking powder is another issue, I don’t know if it matters or not. I always add some, just in case. But then again, I add baking powder even to pancake batter, just in case, so maybe you shouldn’t take this point too seriously.
Ok, back to our cheese mixture. Dump the raisins in it, and add those stiff egg whites sitting in the fridge. And here’s the Most Important Ingredient: add a couple of spoonfuls (big!) of cream of wheat (uncooked of course). Use your mixer to mix it all nicely and pour into the pan. The mixture will be runny. Very runny. But no worries. That cream of wheat will work its magic. It will make for a wonderfully soft and mousse-like cake. I promise you!
Bake the whole thing at 350F or 175C first for about 30 minutes or until the top gets golden, then cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil and keep baking it for another 30 minutes. Then, because I’m lazy, I just turn off the oven and leave the cake there until it cools a bit. And voila. You’re done. You’ve just made an almost typical Polish cheesecake. It will be the fluffiest most amazing cheesecake you’ve ever tried. I guarantee it!


Tutaj jest nowa recepta dla innego sernika. To pochodzi z pisarza polskiego Blog(blogs@transparent.com).
Używam dwu 300 grama paczek i trochę, które wychodzi schludnie do trzech 8 oz paczek. Upewnij się to jest normalna pełna tłusta wersja, ponieważ inaczej to nie będzie work.But zanim zaczniesz dostawanie się całego przypominającego sera, potrzebujesz skorupy. Oryginalna recepta wymaga specjalnego “kruche ciasto(kruche ciasto)” , którego naprawdę, kto musi czas zrobić to w dzisiejszej dobie? Robię normalną Graham skorupę petardy i to pracuje właśnie świetny. Z wyjątkiem ja użyj herbatników Marie , ponieważ lubię ich lepiej niż petardy Graham.
Właściwy sernik wiedeński jest zrobiony w springform rondlu (jeden z usuwalnym dnem) ale naprawdę, jakikolwiek stary rondel zrobi. Używam springform, ale nie ponieważ jestem takim tradycjonalistą, ale ponieważ nie robię własnego jakiegokolwiek innego rondla ciastka.
I mówiąc o tradycyjnym… tradycyjnie, ten sernik był zrobiony z 12 jajkami. Tak. Dwanaście. Oryginalna recepta była oczywiście tworzona w błogo nieświadomych dniach kiedy cholesterol był jeszcze nieznany.
Tylko używam 4 albo 5 jajek, zależąc od jak dużego oni są. Najpodstępniejsza część w całym sernik robiącym proces rozdziela żółtka i bieli. Raz jesteś zrobiony z tamtym, to jest (ser)ciastka spacer, naprawdę.
To jest co robisz:Żółtka pójdą do DUŻEJ miski, bieli do mniejszego bowl.Beat bieli aż oni będą sztywni. I mam na myśli naprawdę sztywny. (Nie mogę wyobrazić sobie jak oni zrobili to w dniach przed elektrycznymi mikserami, ci biednymi związanymi umową służącymi…) Kiedy będziesz zrobiony pobicie bieli, położył ich w lodówce aż będziesz potrzebować ich. Które będzie wkrótce.
Teraz mam przyznanie się by zrobić. Jestem alergiczny do mierzenia filiżanek. Nie robię nawet własnego zestaw. Właśnie dodaję rzeczy aż do ja albo jak smak albo muszę wyrzucić cokolwiek to jest, że robię.
Ale by zrobić to łatwo dla ciebie, spróbowałem mierzyć dzisiaj właśnie ile cukier puder (cukiernika) będziesz potrzebować. I odpowiedź jest: około 1 filiżanki trochę, zależąc od jak starego i kwaszą twój serek śmietankowy jest i jak słodki ty jak twoje rzeczy.
Dodaj trochę z tamtego cukru pudru do twoich żółtek i bij ich aż oni będą stawać się białymi i puszyści. Zacznij dodawanie serka śmietankowego. Naprawdę, to nie ma znaczenie jeżeli robisz to naraz, albo po kawałku. Jestem leniwy, robię to naraz. Dodaj trochę wanilii jeżeli ciebie jak; proszek wanilii , ekstrakt z wanilii, to jest całe dobro.
Tradycyjna recepta wymaga skórki pomarańczy, ale) nie lubię skórka pomarańczy, i B) kto musi czas łuszczyć się, porąbać i łagodnie upiec się, że rzeczy, huu? Nie mnie. Oryginalna recepta też wymaga rodzynków. Ci dodaję, o garści, którą domyślam się byłbym około 1/3 filiżanki. Możesz zmoczyć ich w rumie albo burbonie, jeżeli ciebie jak. Nie robię. Dzisiaj zapomniałem zmoczyć ich nawet w wodzie. To nie miało znaczenie. Sernik okazał się właśnie świetny.
Proszek do pieczenia jest inny problem, nie wiem czy to ma znaczenie albo nie. Zawsze dodaję kilka, właśnie w przypadku. Ale wówczas znowu, dodaję proszek do pieczenia nawet do ciasta na naleśniki, właśnie w przypadku, tak być może nie powinieneś wziąć tego punktu zbyt poważnie.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:28 AM

    Dear Joan and David,

    I know you will have fun making this cheesecake and it will be very good. You can use orange zest to add to your cheesecake and it will work just fine. I always use the vanilla extract and almond extract.
    I am trying to translate the recipe for Poppy seed cake you like so much or as it is called makowiec or strucla makowa. As soon as i am done I will send it to you to try it. In Florida due to humidity it is very hard to bake good yeast cakes. They do not rise right, you should not have any problem in Poznan. You can warm up you kitchen with cooking something and use the heat from stove to rise your dough.

    Good luck with new cheesecake.

    Best wishes,

    As I writing this I am watching Polish dance assembly on DVD - Mazowsze.

    ReplyDelete