Thursday, June 05, 2008

Lecha 2





I was sitting on a bench, waiting for Joan to come out of rehab, when a man in a wheelchair who was passing by decided to stop and talk with me. He talked non-stop for about five minutes. I understood very little of it before he asked me if I understood. I said "Rozumiem", he smiled and went on his way. It reminds me of when we first arrived and people would ask me for directions someplace and I had no idea what they said. At least I have progressed to the point of being able to give directions.

Saturday begins St. John's Fair in Stary Rynek. St. John's Fair is the largest cultural and entertainment event in Poznań. Its tradition refers to medieval fairs which once took place in the centre of Poznań. Today, it is very similar. For a week, the Old Market in Poznań turns into a large fair in which one can buy virtually anything. Most people flock to stands offering antiques. This year, trading will be accompanied by performances by music and theatre groups. We can't be there on Saturday so we will go Sunday to see it.


Siedziałem na ławie, czekałem na Joan, żeby przyszła z rehab, kiedy człowiek w wózku inwalidzkim, który mijał zdecydowany zatrzymać się i powiedzieć ze mną. On powiedział bez przerwy przez około pięć minut. Zrozumiałem bardzo mało z tego zanim on pytał mnie czy zrozumiałem. Powiedziałem "Rozumiem", on uśmiechnął się i poszedł na jego sposobie. To przypomina mi z kiedy po pierwsze przybył i ludzie pytaliby mnie dla instrukcji gdzieś i nie miałem żadnej idei co oni powiedzieli. Przynajmniej posunąłem się naprzód do rzeczy możenia dać instrukcje.

Sobota zaczyna św. Johna Jarmark w Stary Rynek. Św. Johna Jarmark jest największy kulturalny i zdarzenie zabawy w Poznań. Jego tradycja odnosi się do średniowiecznych jarmarków, które raz miały miejsce w środku Poznań. Dzisiaj, to jest bardzo podobne. Na tydzień, Stary Rynek w Poznań zamienia się w wielki jarmark, w którym może kupić faktycznie coś. Większości ludności stado do stoisk oferujących antyki. Tego roku, handlowanie będzie towarzyszone przez wyniki przez muzykę i grupy teatru. Nie możemy być tam w sobotę tak pójdziemy niedzielę by zobaczyć to.

3 comments:

  1. It is 18 days until I leave again for Poland. It is so good to see a sign that says Apteka. Not because it is a drug store, but because it's Polish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    So you arrive on June 24th. Maybe we can meet in July?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I arrived actually on June 25. I leave Minnesota at 9:15 PM Minnesota time and arrived in Warsaw at 4:50 PM Poland time. See e-mail from about finding me in Poland.

    ReplyDelete