Saturday, February 16, 2008

Warsaw

(Click on picture)
Colder today than the past few days so I wrapped myself up in a scarf, gloves, sweater, coat and caught bus#63 to the Rondo. From there I walked 6 blocks to the train station to puchase tickets for my trip to Warsaw next Wednesday. I have a meeting scheduled at 1:30PM. I'm taking the Express train, second class seating and it leaves at 9:25AM, arrives at 12:35PM. The meeting should last a little over an hour and then the return train leaves at 4:25PM, arriving in Poznań at 7:30PM. I should be home by 8PM. In 2004, Joan and I took this train, though first class at that time, and it was a very nice, modern and fast train. I thought about driving to Warsaw but it's 5 hours and God only knows where I might end up without my navigator Joan with me. The place of my meeting is only about 15-20 minute walk away from the train station so it should work out just fine. Cost of the round trip is 179 zl($73)

Heard on the news about America shooting down a satellite and the toxic debris may fall in central Poland. That's just great :-( Even in Poland we cannot escape Bush's mistakes.

I'm getting anxious for spring to arrive. Winter has been very easy but I look forward to days when we can go for walks again without coats, hats and gloves. Now, after 6 months we can walk long distances but with the cold it kind of shortens our trips. We have explored everywhere within 15-20 blocks but we would like to walk further to find more new and interesting places. Tonight we were to go to Stary Rynek to meet a new acquaintance of Joans and her husband but she just called and said he is sick now with a cough, high fever. Many people have had this lately around here. I was lucky. My illness only lasted a week and I had no high fever.

Zimniejszy dzisiaj niż przeszłość mało dni tak zawinąłem w szalu, rękawiczkach, swetrze, płaszczu i złapałem autobus#63 do Ronda. Stamtąd chodziłem 6 bloków do dworca kolejowego do puchase biletów dla mojej podróży do Warszawy następna środa. Każę spotkanie zaplanowany o 1:30PM. Biorę Pociąg ekspresowy, drugą klasę sadzające i to wyrusza o 9:25AM, przybywa o 12:35PM. Spotkanie powinno trwać trochę przez godzinę i wtedy pociąg powrotu odjeżdża o 4:25PM, przybywając do Poznań o 7:30PM. Powinienem być do domu przez 8PM. W 2004, Joan i ja wziąłem ten pociąg, chociaż pierwsza klasa w tamtym czasie, i to było bardzo miłe, nowoczesne i pociąg pośpieszny. Pomyślałem o pędzeniu do Warszawy ale to jest 5 godzin i Bóg tylko wie gdzie mógłbym kończę bez mojej nawigatora Joan ze mną. Miejsce mojego spotkania jest tylko około minuty 15-20 odchodzą od dworca kolejowego tak to powinno zakończyć się właśnie świetny. Kosztowany podróży w obie strony jest 179 zl($73)

Usłyszany na wiadomoścach o Ameryce zestrzeliwującej satelita i toksyczne rumowisko może paść w centralnej Polsce. To jest właśnie wielkie :-( Nawet w Polsce nie możemy uniknąć pomyłek Bush.

Dostaję się niespokojny na wiosnę by przybyć. Zima była bardzo łatwa ale oczekuję dni kiedy możemy pójść po spacery znowu bez płaszczów, kapeluszy i rękawiczek. Teraz, po 6 miesiącach możemy chodzić długie odległości ale z zimnem to uprzejmy ze skracają nasze podróże. Zbadaliśmy wszędzie w granicach bloków 15-20 ale chcielibyśmy chodzić dalej by znaleźć bardziej nowe i interesujące miejsca. Dzisiaj wieczorem mieliśmy pójść do Stary Rynek by spotkać nową znajomość Joan i jej męża ale ona właśnie wołała mówiła, że on jest chory teraz z kaszlem, wysoką gorączką. Dużo ludzi mieli to ostatnio dookoła tutaj. Byłem szczęśliwy. Moja choroba tylko trwała tydzień i nie miałem żadnej wysokiej gorączki.

2 comments:

  1. What a good idea! Between the amount of time it takes to drive, then the amount of road construction,the traffic congestion in Warsaw, plus what it might cost to park a car, taking the train is a great idea!!

    If you have a minute, I'd like to understand better about Polish train tickets. In the corner of each is a price that brings the total way less than what you said. However, when I looked at the Polish railroad web site, I got back to the price you paid. So what is the lower charge for that appears on the lower right hand coren of each ticket?

    I'm asking so that I'm better prepared for independent train travel this coming summer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,

    I don't know but I'll find out. Here's the site for train travel...
    http://rozklad.pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en?ld=pkp&OK#focus

    ReplyDelete