Thursday, September 06, 2007

Good, but somewhat sad day.


Doctor visit day. Took tram 12 from Rondo Kaponiera to the Połjewska street stop and walked across the street to the Medicover office. The office is very new and modern, painted in subdued orange and cream colors. Very nice. The receptionist again told me I was not in the system yet and would have to pay again. This was not good and my blood began to boil. I told her I received an email from Warsaw today that if there was any problem here, they should call Warsaw. They did and 10 minutes later they apologized for the inconvenience, led me down the hall to room 14 where I waited to see the doctor. 10 minutes later he opened the door and asked me in. The difference between the U.S. system and polish is that there is no nurse. The doctor comes and gets his patients. They take no extensive health history, blood pressure, weight, height, etc. We spoke in English and he asked what I needed. He gave me the typical neuro exam and said except for the tremors I was in good shape. I told him I needed refills on my prescriptions and he proceeded to find the equivalent Polish drugs but one drug only comes in a strength 4 times what I need so I will have to cut it into quarters to take, if I can. Right now it’s kind of an experiment to see how the new drugs will work for me, a fact I’m not to thrilled about but we’ll see what happens. I told him to make sure he puts the ambulance number on the prescriptions, just in case J

We had a new kind of dinner tonight…Makrel Tusza, Pyzy and sałata ( smoked macarel, pyzy and salad). My mother use to buy this makeral a long time ago when I was young so I thought we would try it again. You have to be careful of the bones, tiny little ones, and it takes a while to get the meat of the fish but it’s good, just a little salty.

Joan did two washes, the sun came out in the afternoon, it warmed up and the clothes dried easily on the balcony rack. Ahhhhhhhhhhh….washing in Poland..what an experience.

Tomorrow it’s off to the American Consulate for our 10AM appt. about Polish Citizenship, then take the prescriptions to the local apteka(drug store) and find out what they will cost.
A good but somewhat sad day today. We heard of the passing of Luciano Pavoratti early this morning. It was sad to hear. He was one of our favorite performers and it made us reflect on the great performers we have seen or heard in our lifetime...Andres Segovia, Pablo Casals, Vladimir Horowitz, Luciano Pavoratti.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 PM

    Hi...
    Yes, you are definitely right....
    Poland is not at all like I remember---thank goodness!! the supermarket pictures prove it.
    You know though, when we came back from visiting Poland and talked about it...it was not the same Poland that my DziaDzia knew either from when he left it. The want for things was so great when we visited.
    Still enjoying all of your adventures and comments and pics. Thank you for your blog.
    Hugs, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, David, as you know I'm coming to the story of your adventures in Poland late. Could you please fill me in on the tremors? What's with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    Twenty years ago I was living in the U.P. of Michigan in a remote area of the forest building a house, working from sun up to sun down. I drank tons of strong coffee and one day I noticed my hands were a little shaky. I figured it was the coffee. When I was done and not drinking so much coffee it didn't go away. It bothered me because I had one aunt who had Parkinson's so I went to a neurologist for examination. He diagnosed my condition as Benign Essential Tremor, kind of a cousin of Parkinson's. It's a progressive disease that involves the deterioration of the nervous system. The more progress, the more shakiness. Medications are to control the amount of shaking. So I guess you could say I have become a member of the Shaker community :-)

    ReplyDelete