Friday, August 31, 2007

What did you say?



I think this will amaze you. Today, even though it's not cold, I thought I would turn on one of the heaters in our rooms to see how it worked. The turn button goes from 0-5 for the amount of heat you want. I turned it on to 3 and waited for it to heat up. And I waited..................and I waited but nothing happened. I looked for a switch to may turn it on and found none. So, I called the landlady and waited for her to call back. I told her I was just testing the system to make sure it worked before winter set in and she told me something very hard for American's (Joan and I, anyway) to understand. It is a policy in Poland that for apartment buildings, the heat is not turned on in any building until October 15th, unless there is a 3 day period where the temperature is 10 degrees celsius below normal. That's outrageous. Why the government should regulate the heat in a building where the tenent pays for the heat is beyond me. Maybe it's a left over rule from the old Communist system. I don't know but I don't understand why it continues.
Today was a non active day for us. It rained a little so we decided stay home. The bank issue still hasn't been cleared up, the money was wired out of our American but hasn't shown up yet in Poland. Hope it did't get lost :-)

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:46 PM

    I have to say - I can totally see the Polish government's stance on this one. I mean, it is after all about the regulation and sharing of limited resources - something I think we Americans take for granted.
    I'm glad you're enjoying your retirement!

    -Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:37 PM

    I read Say What. SOO I will say WHAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:12 PM

    Hi David & Joan!

    There was a program on Oregon Public Broadcasting this week regarding European anti-American sentiment and it contrasted France, Poland, and Great Britain in their attitudes towards the U.S. A lot of it was rather good-natured and humorous.

    It seems that many Poles think that although the U.S. government says it is a great friend of Poland, Poles think that in actuality they are pretty much forgotten and ignored by the U.S. -- in other words they are getting very little in return for the support they give to the U..S.

    Poles also talked at some length about how difficult it is for them to obtain a U.S. visa since 9/11. They were especially upset that it was a piece of cake for the French (who are very negative to U.S. policy) to obtain a visa while Poles (who pretty much have always loved the U.S. due to having many relatives here) were now often denied.

    Prior to 9/11 it was easy for Poles to travel to America. And in fact, on my trip to Poland this summer this was also mentioned by some Poles we spoke with.

    I just thought I would pass this along as it may give you some talking points with Poles in the future.

    --Carol in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:41 AM

    David and Joan,
    As always it is great to read your stories. It looks like you are using a lot of public transportation, which is great. In Warsaw where I am from, they have varieties of rates and deal for people that use buses and trams often. It is very common to use weekly, biweekly, monthly or quarterly pass (longer the period of the pass the more money you save), and that is much cheaper then buying individual tickets per trip over time. Greater discounts are extended to students and senior citizens on public transportations passes. It is just a piece of advice you may want to check into, or ask local people about. Passes are great money and time saver. Hope this make your life easier.
    Take care Emilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeremy,
    Thanks for the first name bases :-)
    Do they have the same policy about heat where you live?

    Emilia,
    When we lived near Chicago and had ddto ride the train to work each day we had a monthly pass. I kind of figured they must have something like that here but right now we ride the train so sporadically I haven't checked into it. Before we start our language classes at Mickiewicz University I will certainly do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol,
    I heard those comments from our cousins three years ago when we were here before so it's nothing new. I can't disagree with them. It is outrageous that Poles have to go through so much trouble to get a Visa when there are countries who house terrorists and yet thier citizens get visa's with little trouble. Poles have been supportive of the U.S. for decades and yet treated second rate by the U.S. government. I'd be mad myself if I was born in Poland and saw the treatment they are given.

    ReplyDelete