Monday, August 27, 2007

Wash Day!

Joan, preparing for the wash day.
Joan and the drying rack on the balcony.

Joan was up early and before sniadanie(breakfast) prepared for the FIRST wash. This washer is setup by computer programs for the different types of fabrics but the instructions don't tell you how long each program(wash) takes so we selected one of them and it turned out to be the wrong one because it took 2 hours for one load. That's way too long for an energy efficent washer. In the wash cycle it is not a continuos turning of the wash drum, it rotate one way for a short time, stops and rotates the other way...for 2 hours. Now that we know better, I checked the times for each program and found a faster way to do the clothes.
So after the clothes were washed and put on the drying rack we went to Stary Browar, an old section of Poznań where they have built a new mall. It's at the beginning of a street that is closed off to automobiles and only pedestrian traffic is allowed. It stretches for about 4 blocks. We went there looking for a TV, CD with cassette and radio player and just to see this new place recommended to us. The mall is all enclosed with many shops similar to the U.S. like Versace, expensive clothing, supermarket, etc. We managed to find Mega Avans, a large electronic store with TV's, DVD players and computers. We ended up buying a Sony unit with cassette, CD and radio and I had to carry it home on the tram and the bus. The tram wasn't easy because it was rush hour and packed so staying in place with a large box was not easy. But I managed to get home with only a few looks from people thinking what is this crazy man doing on the tram in rush hour with such a large box. "He must be an American"!! Of course, wearing my Michigan wolverines shirt and and Joan wearing a Chicago Bears sweater didn't help. We returned home to find the clothes dryed. Joan took a nap, I set up our new entertainment system, then Joan made dinner of kielbasa, kapusta and ziemniaki(potatoes). Tomorrow is another wash day (we're behind) and I'm not sure what else we will do.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:20 PM

    Hi...
    Had to try it. Am still loving your blog and all your comments.
    I enjoyed the different obsevations
    of Poland...am sure if I ever return, I will see a BIG difference
    in everything. Like you, I really
    appreciate that they leave the old buildings...not tear them down like the U.S.
    Hugs, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:26 PM

    Hi..
    I am trying this again.....am still loving your blog and comments. I tried earlier, but don't think it went through. I liked your obsevations of Poland
    and know that If I ever return to Poland...I will see a HUGE change.
    I, like you, appreciate that they do nno tear down their buildings like the U.S. does. Hugs, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, thanks for trying. I see the comment section is working.

    ReplyDelete