Saturday, September 01, 2007

Norah Jones!

Last night on TV we stumbled across the live transmissioin of the Sopot Music Festival and were thrilled to find the coverage of Norah Jones, one of our favorite singers. Sopot is part of what is called the tri-cities north of Poznań on the Baltic seacoast. There's Sopot, Gydnia and Gdańsk. It's a place we want to visit for possible living after our first year is over in Poland. I also have cousins who live in Gdańsk and Grudziądz.
The TV is amazing us each time we look at the programs. They have a lot of programs from the U.S, voiced over in the Polish language like Nash Bridges, ER, Simpsons, Dharma and Gregg, 902133, and movies like Jerry McGuire, one of our favorites. The news we watch is CNN World, BBC World and Euro News. Also, they have three childrens channels including the Cartoon Network, a favorite of our grandchildren back in the States. They broadcast 5 German channels, 1 French and 1 Spanish in those languages. The rest of the 63 channels are either Polish or American shows voiced over.

Talked, again, with Citibank in Poland last night to see why our money wire isn't in our account yet only to find out it takes 2-5 days for it to show up being transferred from America to Poland. When I was looking at the American Citibank website it said a wire transfer takes place in the same business day and I assumed that was for a transfer anywhere but no, internationally it takes 2-5 days. If I was in the States I could have sent a certified check in regular mail and it would be here in 5 days. Doesn't seem right but that's the way it is.

We went to the Post Office yesterday to mail a letter to our friend Krystyna in the States. Kind of ironic, we Americans live in Poland and we send a letter to our Polish friend living in America :-)

I still haven't broken the habit of waking up early from the "work days" so I'm usually up at 6 or 6:30 checking emails and the Blog. Joan doesn't have that problem, she's been sleeping until about 8AM. Looks like today it will be partly sunny so I think a trip to Art Museum near Plac Wolności is in order, then maybe a short walk to Stary Rynek for obiad (lunch).

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:44 PM

    Norah Jones is one of my favorites also...sounds like the tv isn't too bad there. Better than I have up north---2 channels!!!!
    Hope you don't get any real cold weather before Oct. 15---what temp do they go by for 3 days before the heat is turned on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:30 PM

    I caught her performance also, I've recently moved to Gorzow (about 90 minutes from Poznan).

    Sounds like you are settling in well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jonny,
    Where did you move from?
    We are setttling in well, I think.
    How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:27 PM

    David,

    I moved from London UK.

    I am adjusting to the change of pace well, getting used to eating twice as much as I did!

    It's quite a big change moving here but I'm enjoying all it has to offer and trying to improve my Polish.

    I've been visiting a few places outside of Gorzow. I can suggest Lagow if you ever get the chance. A lovely place although the weather is starting to get a little cooler now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, sounds like a good day. Waking up and going to the museum.

    I live in a small southern town in Georgia and am like your retired.

    If I want to go somewhere for a walk, I can walk to the library.

    That's about it. There's a small art museum in town, but there's not much to see.

    ReplyDelete